Sunday, October 28, 2012

Card Sketches and airships

Progress on the board game. The resource cards are the first thing I tackled, thinking they would be relatively straight forward, and I tried out a realistic approach, but it didn't feel right.
While researching standard playing card sizes I stumbled on website dealing with their design, and while walking on the beach, I realized it would be a lot more interesting, and fitting for the theme, to make illustrations based on classic face card design. It's going to be a lot more work, but I think it'll be worth it in the end. Here are my WIPs
To rest my brain a bit, I switched to some airship silhouettes. The plan is to eventually model these in 3D so they can serve as victory track markers.
In other news, I'm looking into the University of Washington's School of Information Master's of Science in Information Management, as a way of getting myself back into the US, in a gaming hub, and learning something which will hopefully give me enough of an edge to break into the game industry despite my non-immigrant status.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Board Game 1 - A New Project

My cousin had me play Settlers of Catan for the first time about half a year ago. I was instantly hooked, and have been delving deeper into the hobby ever since, first in the Bay Area, and now home to Haifa. I've found a group to play with on Monday, and we pull out Catan whenever my brother and SIL come to visit. I listen to blogs about it and watch videos on youtube. I figured I would try my hand at it, if only as an excuse to design some art. Here's what I have so far, some rough layouts and ideas. Prettier thing are soon to follow.
I couldn't start this project without first finishing the monster studies collage, so here it is in it's final form.
And a few more of the podcast paintings:

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Core Runner

Core Runner started as a speed painting done to the Armada podcast. It was episode 81, with a runtime of 15:56
The wonky perspective really bothered me though, and I felt like I needed to fix it (but first I needed to sleep.) The next day I also noticed it got some likes on facebook and some faves on deviantArt, so I went ahead and fixed, tweaked and embellished. I think it was still under an hour of work total, and here's what I ended up with.
Score so far: 5 facebook likes, 2 dA faves and 1 Tumblr like for the original. 3 likes, 1 fave, 1 reblog for the rework. And here's the latest on the monsters, only 4 more left:
Nothing but disappointment from the job search, and nagging from my mom.

Friday, October 12, 2012

Monsters and Podcasts

Here's an update on what I've been working on since my last update, I felt it was needed. I have been steadily working through the monster studies.
I also realized I needed to do more, and knowing myself, I do that best when I give myself small goals. Painting to podcasts seemed like a good idea, giving me a limited time span to play with ideas and see how far I can take it. Here are a few of my favorites:
Still looking for a job, art test results weren't good enough for 2K Czech, unfortunately. Israel isn't that bad, I guess. Went to my first Israeli con, joined a board game club, meeting English speakers and seeing old friends.